Get ready for a summer breakfast treat! This recipe is so delicious – and the aroma while it cooks is heavenly.
The tropical flavours naturally work well together – sweet, creamy coconut and banana with the intensely-flavoured freshness and slight sour zing of the crunchy passion fruit seeds.
Passion Fruit Banana & Coconut Porridge (cooked on the stove)
1/2 cup / 45-50g rolled porridge oats
1 cup / 240ml milk of your choice/water (I used 1/2 cup / 120ml of each)
2 passion fruits (or 1 big one)
1 ripe banana
1 tbsp desiccated coconut, (plus extra for topping)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
(optional: sweetener to taste e.g. tsp honey/brown sugar/syrup/sweetener)
tiny pinch salt
1. Bring liquid to the boil in a saucepan
2. Add oats, and reduce heat to medium
3. Mash up the banana and add to the porridge (I only mashed up 1/2 – 2/3 and sliced the rest for some rustic texture). Add half of the passion fruit pulp and stir in the desiccated coconut. (Take in a huge whiff of the scent of the passion fruit – to die for!)
4. Once the mixture has thickened add the cinnamon and salt
5. Add any extra ingredients at this point (e.g. seeds, sweetener etc.)
6. Once the consistency is as you desire, transfer the porridge to a bowl. Top with the rest of the passion fruit pulp and a sprinkling of coconut.